incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: User support: beyond forums or lists
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 12:39:05 GMT
On 24 August 2011 02:30, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 09:05 +1000, Jean Weber wrote:
> > I've started a new thread, because I think Rob Weir's very important
> point has got lost in the discussions about forums and lists. Rob wrote:
> >
> > > Support is important. The question is
> > > how best to do it.  If all we're doing is considering the merits of
> > > different access methods to support, without looking at the
> > > implications of fragmenting the repositories and the resulting
> > > knowledge base, then we are doing a poor job at thinking this through.
> > > Remember the best support site is the one that allows the user to
> > > answer their own question, without signing up for a mailing list or
> > > posting to a forum. We should be looking at how we can prevent user
> > > support questions.
> >
> > This ties in closely with end-user documentation and how it is delivered,
> so I am very interested in this topic. Later today I'll go through the
> archives of this list to find the earlier discussions, which I believe
> occurred while I was traveling and thus weren't given enough of my attention
> at the time. Or, have ideas and suggestions, perhaps examples of good
> practice, been posted to the wiki? Apple is IMO a brilliant example, but
> they have a lot of resources
> >
> > It's clear to me that we need to do better than we have in the user
> support area, if we can do so. Not only will that benefit users and improve
> our reputation, it will allow us to work smarter, not harder. I will pursue
> this, along with other interested people. It's something valuable that I can
> do while the techies are moving websites and working with code etc.
> >
> > Setting up a suitable system and populating it with suitable information
> will be a big task and take quite awhile, especially if we don't have enough
> skilled people to do it. (I'm referring to content, not infrastructure.) All
> the more reason to get started now with planning what we want to do, so we
> can start doing it ASAP.
> >
> > BTW, the Docs mailing list at OOo gets quite a few enquiries from people
> wanting to contribute, and a few of them sound like they have relevant
> experience and skills. I don't want to lose them. Yes, we point them to this
> list as well as ODFAuthors, but I don't know how many have actually joined.
> If we're actively discussing topics of interest to documenters, perhaps more
> people can be persuaded to get involved.
>
> Hi Jean,
>
> Before I let another thread slide away from view - I agree completely
> with approaching this with a unified view of user support, not just
> stove pipes for different delivery vehicles.

To add to this, we are currently engaged to train staff in a large training
company in South America that wants OpenOffice certification for end users
initially in schools. In practice this certification is equally applicable
to LibreOffice and OpenOffice - I suspect the request for OpenOffice is
simply a brand awareness thing. Since we are doing this in collaboration
with the OpenOffice.org certification project why not make this a joint
LibO/OOo issue? All we need do is put a LibO logo on the certificate if the
candidate uses LibO to meet the assessment criteria and an OOo logo on the
certificate if it is OpenOffice. We can keep track of the certificates
issued and contribute back to either project on the basis of the number of
certificates. We can modify the documentation to carry both names. To me
this seems a way of promoting user support and awareness for both
communities in a way that helps both. I'm applying lazy consensus here in
that if there are no objections I'll start a new thread with a specific
proposal but of course we will also need a +1 from the LibO people.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940

Wales.