incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache project community and external community
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:42:45 GMT
On 31 August 2011 11:25, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

> On 30 August 2011 23:00, Raphael Bircher <r.bircher@gmx.ch> wrote:
> > Am 30.08.11 22:30, schrieb Rob Weir:
> >>
> >> (renaming the thread since it has drifted)

> > I see no fundrising for
> >
> > * Marchendising, Marketing Material usw.
>
> That's correct.
>
> The ASF only spends money on supporting open and collaborative
> development. Development does not directly create revenue to pay for
> itself and thus our focus is on the reduction of development costs.
> Development is a liability, not an asset.
>
> Everything else goes elsewhere to allow revenue to be generated in the
> widest possible market. The ASF is a 501c(3) which means we can't do
> anything that benefits any individual or organisation more than
> another, we must operate in the public interest.
>
> Is this bad? No, it works for >100 Apache projects. We don't see
> massive splits in communities like those you are predicting. We see
> constructive development collaboration between organisations who often
> compete in the marketplace.
>
> Is it the way OOo used to work? No, but OOo has chosen to come to the
> ASF now. The focus of OOo now is on the reduction of development costs
> by creating a truly open and collaborative development project.
>
> Is it the only way? No, but fortunately our permissive licence means
> other can do it their way whilst still benefiting from the reduced
> cost of development.
>
> Note there is nothing in the ASF that prevents an individual (on
> company time or not, we don't care) doing marketing, merchandising
> etc. There are plenty of examples of this happening in ASF projects,
> it doesn't take ASF cash to do these things.

I think this is a good split. There is maximum flexibility for projects to
be developed outside ASF that can benefit FOSS. Need to shift the mindset
from getting handouts to generating revenue via associated services that can
feedback into product development. Marketing should be seen as a revenue
generator not a cost liability because you can eg sell Merch and get
revenue. That raises the brand awareness and should be at least
self-funding.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940