incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fundraising
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 21:13:00 GMT
On 16 August 2011 19:12, Ross Gardler <rgardler@opendirective.com> wrote:

> On 15 August 2011 10:05, Daniel Shahaf <d.s@daniel.shahaf.name> wrote:
> > I don't have any specific comment on this; you might talk to fundraising@
> .
>
> No point. The ASF does not pay for any kind of development, under any
> circumstances. We don't take targetted donations (an EU grant is by
> definition targetted). I would be *extremely* surprised if this were
> to change.

I doubt the ASF itself could get an EU grant even if it wanted to since it
is not an EU SME or government organisation so it wouldn't qualify as the
right type of legal entity.  It's why I said "You need to be able to apply
through a legal company or public sector body in an EU country". (Actually,
there are some exceptions but the USA isn't one of them ;-) )

The reason for outlining the plan is to see if anyone is interested in
participating via their companies or if employed in an educational
institution, their organisation. If it might help fellow Fossers to be
involved, great. It's not about doing it through ASF and its equally
applicable to OOo or LibO.  I see this as a wider community project that can
be a beneficial part of the ecosystem as a whole without necessarily being
rigidly attached to any particular organism. To carry the metaphor on, a
sort of symbiosis.

That is not to say that the idea is bad, but that it cannot happen
> inside the ASF. All financial transactions relating to specific
> projects and project development occur outside the ASF. For the record
> there are a number of projects in the incubator that were created and
> continue to be supported by EU funded activities outside the ASF.

This is exactly the situation.The only advantage of my strategy - if of
course it works, is that there is the prospect of a sustainable income
stream that could be used to support a range of FOSS activities. That could
be by direct donation to eg Freies Office Deutschland e.V. or some other
mechanism. Let's make some money first and then decide how to use it. These
activities are more related to marketing than traditional coding because if
we certificate a lot of people they are learning to use the products and
that will help raise awareness and proliferation. Better to have your
marketing strategy making money than consuming it. At least then it is long
term sustainable even if it only breaks even. Using EU money simply de-risks
the development costs necessary to get to that break even point.

Ross

> > Ian Lynch wrote on Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 09:52:40 +0100:

> wanted
> up

> >> In the UK you have to be a registered Charity with a board of trustees
> >> get tax relief on donations. Setting up a charity is much more involved
> than
> >> setting up a company. Many non-profit companies are either CICs or
> companies
> >> limited by guarantee rather than limited companies with shareholders.
> One
> >> reason why we are a straight limited company is that unless we were a
> >> charity there really isn't much advantage.
> >>
> >> One other method of getting resource into the projects is through EU
> grants.
> >> Over the last 2 years I have written 3 successful applications with a
> grant
> >> value of about 800,000 Euros.  Unfortunately, the recent OpenOffice.org
> >> application failed, but that was on a legal technicality because the
> >> submitting organisation in Germany was not the right type of legal
> entity
> >> :-( The application was deemed to be good enough. So I propose that we
> put
> >> in at least 2 versions of this through 2 different teams to different
> >> National Agencies. One for Apache OOo and one for LibO. Since the
> >> application is based on certification of end users we could "clone" this
> >> application further eg to other Apache projects that could benefit from
> >> skills certification or more generally other FOSS projects such as
> Inkscape,
> >> GIMP, Audacity etc. If anyone has any suggestions for Apache projects
> that
> >> could be candidates, or better still interest in running such a project
> >> please speak up. You need to be able to apply through a legal company or
> >> public sector body in an EU country. We can get grant funding to meet
> and
> >> plan and I will provide whatever support is necessary. I can find
> partners
> >> in a range of EU countries.
> >>
> >> We can apply for these grants each year (unless the EU changes the
> system).
> >> If we can use these to get viable certification programmes for FOSS
> going,
> >> that can then generate further income in perpetuity. It's low risk
> because
> >> the grants are not money that has to be repaid but it is in our (FOSS)
> >> interest to set up a sustainable business so that we are not dependent
> on
> >> them in the future.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ian
> >>
> >> Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications (The Schools ITQ)
> >>
> >> www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940
> >>
> >> The Learning Machine Limited, Reg Office, 36 Ashby Road, Tamworth,
> >> Staffordshire, B79 8AQ. Reg No: 05560797, Registered in England and
> [...]

Ian