incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From C <smau...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Mon, 01 Aug 2011 22:09:48 GMT
On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 23:46, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> Another key question is that of accounts.  Who will have write access
> to the wiki?
>
> 1) We preserve the accounts of the Oracle-hosted server and anyone who
> has an account there has one at Apache?

The accounts take up little "room" and are simply part of the OOoWiki
backend.. not linked to any external LDAP.  Should they be...
probably.  It would certainly be a nice to have if we could link the
OOo Accounts to the main OOo accounts.. one log in for all bits of
OOo.

As an aside, there are more than 10k (probably more like 20k) of what
I call zombie accounts, accounts that are more than 2 years old and
never been used to edit a page, and never even logged into after they
were created.  A huge number of the zombie accounts are created by
spammers.... it wouldn't be a bad thing if we purged the unused
accounts, but it's not necessary.

> 2) We start fresh and allow anyone to sign up?

How do you preserve the existing content and the continuity of the
previous editors' work of you do that?  If you start fresh, you no
longer have any contributor history on the existing content.

> 3) We hook it up to Apache's LDAP, and only allow project committers
> to write to the wiki?

That doesn't make it much of a community project.  The whole point of
a Wiki is to allow anyone to edit and add content.  Parts of the
Documentation for example has been added by people who were not
associated directly with the Doc project, (see
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Reference/Calc_functions_alpha
for an example) and their contributions are pretty important.  Another
group that I haven't seen represented here on the Incubators list is a
subset of the Russian OOo community that have created a massive
documentation structure on the Wiki over the past 2 years or so (see
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=ru&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpersonas.i-rs.ru%2Fblog%2Fnews%2F270.html
for some info on this).  I don't think they would be contributing
their knowledge if we made them apply for and become Apache project
committers... but maybe I'm too cynical.

> I think this boils down to:  is this a project wiki with project work
> in it?  Or is it a community wiki?  What do we need to ensure that the
> PPMC has oversight of project outputs and that our users have the
> rights they think they have to those outputs, which is to say, that
> new content remains under Apache 2.0?

The OOo Wiki, as it is now, is a Community Wiki.  It contains pages
created by the projects for project use,  pages created by the
projects for users, and pages created by users for users.  Some is old
and could/should be trimmed out, but... there is also some very
valuable and important information tucked away in the Wiki.

C.