incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Alexandro Colorado <...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: How does BizDev fit in at Apache?
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2011 20:46:32 GMT
On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 3:28 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/18/2011 10:27 AM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
>
>> FYI, Brand Management is working on an Apache Project Corporate
>> Recognition Branding Policy to cover cases similar to this.
>>
>> The ASF is a vendor-neutral non-profit, and as such our projects should
>> be careful to manage their websites and projects for the benefit of all
>> their users, and to not endorse or otherwise be used by third parties
>> for their marketing benefits.
>>
>> However healthy projects also understand that for-profit third parties
>> are an important part of the ecosystem that builds our products, so we
>> do allow Apache projects to have links pages to things like other
>> trainers, consultants, and even other software providers who build
>> software that works with Apache software.
>>
>> It would definitely be helpful for some committers with past experience
>> with OOo work to collect a list of sites like this, and then come up
>> with some specific suggestions / project policies for maintaining lists
>> like that in the future. Then we can review the policy in terms of
>> Apache branding policies. It's definitely up to the (P)PMC to manage
>> this kind of resource, to ensure it's used fairly.
>>

> well...maybe I've started on this
>
> see:
>
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OpenOffice+Domains
>
> I decided to just add an extra column to what were the current "internal"
> sites to attempt to define migration strategy. Actually, I was just about to
> do some more work on it when I saw this post.
>
> As for BizDev -- well I may get slapped for this one -- I'm really not all
> that sure about the activity of this particular project of late. I think it
> *may* have been started a while back when there was much more emphasis on
> getting businesses on the whole scale migration to OO.o bandwagon. I don't
> know what the situation is now. The mailing list does not seem to be
> available, for example. I tried to go through many of the incubator projects
> and make an assessment, but obviously others may have differing opinions.
>

>> A 30 second look at the consultants.html page shows that it looks pretty
>> good, and I bet we can definitely continue pages like that in the future.
>>
>> - Shane
>>
>> On 8/18/2011 12:30 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>>
>>> I'm thinking of things like this, a directory of consultants providing
>>> services to OpenOffice:
>>>
>>> http://bizdev.openoffice.org/consultants.html
>>>
>>> Obviously, this is a very important part of the ecosystem. But I'm
>>> not sure how much we can mix commerce and non-profit together. How do
>>> other projects handle this?
>>>
>>> -Rob
>>>

> --
> MzK
>
> "Those who love deeply never grow old;
>  they may die of old age, but they die young."
>                        -- Sir Arthur Pinero

I made an effort to revamp the BizDev interest but it seems there are still
many dots to match. First of each lang would have their local group of
business that do offer commercial support. We in the ES project launched a
partnership project and then feed them back to the BizDev project. France
has their own and so forth.

BizDev is important because people and companies need training. Failed
migration usually is the effect of bad planning on the training side and
also the expertise that consulting firms offer.

BizDev is a huge task however, to offer webinars, phone support, training,
consulting and channel them through local channels are things that many
people had talk about in past OOoCon. An example is the Google Apps
Marketplace (which was something that was considered), and even compared
with other ideas happening in other platforms like Sourceforge failed
marketplace experiment.

As for right now I consider the bizdev a research stage to bring a better
ecosystem than other platforms.

The latest ToDo was a mailing list refresh so we can start with pioneered
business that want to thrive the community. But even then procrastination
won :)

--
*Alexandro Colorado*
*OpenOffice.org* EspaƱol