incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Wolf Halton <wolf.hal...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fundraising
Date Mon, 15 Aug 2011 09:35:57 GMT
One way th handle the issue is to have both a non-profit and a for-profit
arm to an organization.  The NGO foundation side handling education and
development issues and the for-profit side handling everything else.
Plainly, this might not be a viable option to us for half a dozen reasons;
from a perceived dilution of the "brand," to alienating developers.  It
would work in a sense just like any other for-profit company offering
support for an NGO, but would have the added benefit of making it easier for
other companies to help, as they could hand money over to the for-profit
Apache Inc in an extremely straightforward manner - payment, not donation.
This makes it no harder to get a tax break on the moneys so offered, as
"professional services" is still a deductible expense, just as "donations"
are (in some cases).