incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal]
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2011 15:55:48 GMT
On 8 August 2011 15:52, Raphael Bircher <r.bircher@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 08.08.11 14:27, schrieb Ross Gardler:
>>
>> On 8 August 2011 12:45, Rob Weir<apache@robweir.com>  wrote:

>> Be careful about splitting lists too early. I realise that traffic is
>> very high right now but it will die down. Splitting lists splits the
>> community, at this stage we are trying to build community.
>
> Don't forget, OOo is not the typical smart small Apache project with five or
> maybe then Developers.

Right now, Apache OO.o is exactly that. All discussion right now are
about how to get the project here in the first place.

I'm not saying it will *never* be right to have multiple lists, I'm
saying don't do it too early.

> And the traffic on the List is realy low for OOo.
> Remember we don't have realy started right now. We just talk about same
> organisation Question. Can you imagine whats happend here when we realy take
> off here.

*Exactly*

Don't build an environment modelled on what OOo *was*, build it on
what OO.o *is*.

In other words, the right reason for creating a separate list is
because we *need* it, not because OO.o *had* it.

> This ML will kill your Mailserver ;-)

Oh, I doubt that ;-)

> The communication will not be better if you have only one list. You will
> have quickly a list with 200 Mails per day and more.

When a new list would get 10 mails a day, every day, then it is worth
creating a new one. At this point it is impossible to predict which
those lists will be.

Note I said "Be careful about splitting lists too early", that's not
the same as "never".

Ross