incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Fundraising
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 21:18:56 GMT
On 14 August 2011 02:58, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Eike Rathke <ooo@erack.de> wrote:

>>> Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think an Apache
>>> project can have a private fund, or solicit donations for a 3rd party
>>> one.
>>
>> Why not?
>>

> I've formed a US-based non-profit corporation before, so I know some
> of the concerns.  To preserve tax-exempt status, as well as to comply
> with fund raising regulations,  you need to be very careful how
> donations are solicited and how they are spent.  There is a lot of
> paperwork and a lot of details.  I have no experience with doing this
> internationally, but that certainly increases the complexity.    It is
> very reasonable for Apache not to assume the risks to their non-profit
> status that would come if they allowed every poding or even project to
> do its own fund raising.

I'm based in the UK. I'm frequently frustrated by the refusal of the
ASF to spend some of its funds on things that I, with my UK non-profit
experience, believe is legitimate. The justification given is nearly
always as above. It seems to me that the US regulations are much more
restrictive to those in the UK and of other EU countries. For this
reason it can sometimes be difficult for us Europeans to understand
the issue.

However, it's not just that the laws seem to be more restrictive but
also that it is hard for an organisation like the ASF to scale per
project or per individual support. Allowing a single case means we
need to consider every case, which then brings us into the
complexities of the legal requirements of our 501c(30 status.

>> Team OOo paid bursaries for individuals that went to OOoCons and
>> Hackfest, paid hardware for buildbots and pootle servers, paid students
>> for the OOo internship. Do you think that Apache will cover those
>> expenses?
>>

> Apache provides the hardware.  They also have travel assistance for
> ApacheCon. It is probably premature to talk about the next OOoCon.
> I'm not aware of any internship sponsorship, but Apache does
> participate in GSoC:
>
> http://community.apache.org/gsoc.html

We do participate in GSoC and we look forward to AOO.o participating next year.

We would also like to extend the GSoC type mentoring activities beyond
GSoC, however we do not pay for development. Our objective would be to
provide some independent validation of the participants achievements,
funding for such internships would still be funded externally.
However, we've not really succeeded in making this happen.

Ross