incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Commit messages
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2011 20:32:52 GMT
On Sunday, 28 August 2011, Pavel Janík <Pavel@janik.cz> wrote:
> I do not know if Apache has some proposed syntax of commit messages (and
don't have time to dig around it on the web), but I'd like to see commit
log/messages containing the number of fixed issue referenced and no commit
messages without that number.

> In OOo times, the commit logs were in the following structure:
>
> #12345#: Fix typo (i->y).
>
> Can we do the same/similar in Apache OpenOffice.org?

OOo can use any syntax it likes, but to help you define it here's my
observations from other ASF projects.

On projects that use JIRA the syntax is to use the JIRA project ID, e.g.
"foo-123" (issue 123 on project foo). This will automatically link the issue
in JIRA to the commit, that is the commit message and links to the duffs
appear in JIRA comments.

I'm not sure if/how the same effect is achieved using Bugzilla.

It is also recommended that when a commit is a patch from a third party that
it includes "thanks to Jane Bar". Thus makes it easier to track active
contributors.

Ross

--
Ross Gardler (@rgardler)