incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Apache BarCamp - Oxford University Club, Sep 11
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2011 09:00:56 GMT
On 4 August 2011 04:32, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> That's one of the greatest *camp event pages I've seen.

:-))

We have a great team here in Oxford. We kicked them off three years
ago. A local organisation underwrote all the initial costs which
allowed a team to come together without worrying about money (but we
still get sponsors and try not to spend the underwriters money, that
way it's there for another year).  We also had some great mentors on
our first Barcamp.

Each year since then team has grown and the amount of sponsorship has
increased. The ASF now underwrites the costs (you wouldn't believe how
difficult it was to get the ASF to do that - we're an extremely
conservative bunch).

The model we followed in Oxford is now being replicated wherever and
whenever we can. If someone wants to run a BarcampApache (or other
types of events) all you need to do is contact the Conference
Committee. For some details of how it works see
http://wiki.apache.org/concom-planning/ConComSupportedEvents

> The extensive directions and great maps have me seriously regret I
> won't be walking any of those streets in September.

If you need justification coming to Oxford we also have a great
conference the week before http://transfersummit.com - they are sister
events.

Ross