incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Apache project community and external community
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:25:14 GMT
On 30 August 2011 23:00, Raphael Bircher <r.bircher@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 30.08.11 22:30, schrieb Rob Weir:
>>
>> (renaming the thread since it has drifted)
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Raphael Bircher<r.bircher@gmx.ch>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Rob

> I see no fundrising for
>
> * Marchendising, Marketing Material usw.

That's correct.

The ASF only spends money on supporting open and collaborative
development. Development does not directly create revenue to pay for
itself and thus our focus is on the reduction of development costs.
Development is a liability, not an asset.

Everything else goes elsewhere to allow revenue to be generated in the
widest possible market. The ASF is a 501c(3) which means we can't do
anything that benefits any individual or organisation more than
another, we must operate in the public interest.

Is this bad? No, it works for >100 Apache projects. We don't see
massive splits in communities like those you are predicting. We see
constructive development collaboration between organisations who often
compete in the marketplace.

Is it the way OOo used to work? No, but OOo has chosen to come to the
ASF now. The focus of OOo now is on the reduction of development costs
by creating a truly open and collaborative development project.

Is it the only way? No, but fortunately our permissive licence means
other can do it their way whilst still benefiting from the reduced
cost of development.

Note there is nothing in the ASF that prevents an individual (on
company time or not, we don't care) doing marketing, merchandising
etc. There are plenty of examples of this happening in ASF projects,
it doesn't take ASF cash to do these things.

Ross