incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Apache project community and external community
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:37:51 GMT
On 31 August 2011 14:27, Raphael Bircher <r.bircher@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 31.08.11 15:04, schrieb Ross Gardler:
>>
>> On 31 August 2011 13:54, Raphael Bircher<r.bircher@gmx.ch>  wrote:

>>> So you agree that the ASF don't cover all needs for the OOo Community and
>>> there sould be thrid parties who cover this needs. Right?
>>
>> That's not really what I said, but it's not so far from my point that
>> I need to argue the specifics. However, if you want to interpret that
>> way and therefore want to go off and do marketing (or any other of the
>> activities you believe are not covered here at the ASF) then I would
>> certainly welcome the additional contributions to the Apache OOo
>> project that would be a direct result of your valuable work.
>>
>> On the other hand, if you want to do those things here in the ASF I'd
>> see the benefits more immediately and may even be able to complement
>> your efforts myself. I imagine others in the community will have
>> similar views, but we are all free to choose our own paths here.
>
> It's not realy direct about me.

Yes, sorry I should have been talking about "people" in general,
rather than you specifically.

> We have still a load of people who are not
> joined the Apache Community yet. The moast of them are Marketer, Translater
> etc. The question is, if it's realy the best Idea to bring tis people to
> Apache.

It depends on what they want. If they are looking for handouts of cash
to support their activities then the ASF is not the right place. If
they are looking to share resources through both a give and a take
then there is no reason why they should not be here.

ASF projects give committership (and therefore decision making power)
to people who contribute positively, regardless of the type of
contribution.

> Or it's maybe better to setup a group around OOo who care about this
> and have a good collaboration between Apache and this group.

I think this is too exclusive, it's not an either/or decision. Each
individual should be welcomed here if they want to contribute here. If
they choose to do some things outside that is fine. As an ASF
community we need to be fully supportive of those here (within the
limitations of a 501c(3))

> We have
> souveral NGO's around OOo. I know, they can play a offizial part anymore.

But they can take an official part - that's my point.

If those NGOs believe they are adding value to the ASF project by
doing some things that the ASF cannot do within the rules of a 501c(3)
then they should continue to do so *and* representatives should be an
active part of this community.

This conversation might be better served if you pick a single example
of the kind of organisation you are talking about. We can look at that
and come up with the best plan for collaboration. Then we can look at
the next, then the next. Each case will be unique but over time we
will build a sensible model.

Ross