incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Apache project community and external community
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 10:05:11 GMT
On 30 August 2011 23:00, Raphael Bircher <r.bircher@gmx.ch> wrote:
> Am 30.08.11 22:30, schrieb Rob Weir:
>>
>> (renaming the thread since it has drifted)
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 3:49 PM, Raphael Bircher<r.bircher@gmx.ch>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Rob

>>> * That it's strange to organize Events under Apache

> The Organization is only one problem. But Event need also a budget, even
> they are free. And get money for Events from the ASF would be hard. And
> don't beleve that a other NGO will sponsoring the event if they can't
> presenting themself as sponsor.

Please see the ConCom policy for supporting events:
http://wiki.apache.org/concom-planning/ConComSupportedEvents

You will note that the ASF will underwrite costs for small events.
Organisers are expected to seek local sponsorship to cover those costs
but the ASF ensures nobody is out of pocket if it should all go wrong
(to date the ASF has never had to pick up the tab on an event it has
underwritten - our volunteers are that good!)

The ASF does not, and will not, expose itself to the financial risks
associated with large events. ApacheCon itself is produced by an
external producer with no financial risk to the ASF.

If OOo wants to put on a large event with significant financial risk
there are plenty of producers who would like to make a profit by
producing an Apache branded event. If you don't want your event to be
for-profit then seek sponsorship from companies involved with the
community (the event is not inside the ASF so can accept sponsorship
separately).

Ross