incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: Access to wiki
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 20:12:43 GMT
On 6 August 2011 22:11, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Jean Hollis Weber <jeanweber@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-08-04 at 10:22 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:

> Maybe I'm too skeptical,  but do we really have thousands of non core
> project members dropping in for minutes at a time, adding information
> on the architecture of OOo?  And build instructions? Looking at the
> history of these pages, it looks more like this is core dev-enabling
> information that should be part of the core project website.

If there is *one* person who is unable to make that first, simple
contribution then there is *one* person who the project cannot move
from user to committer. Sustainable open source (managed under the
Apache Way) is about maximising the number of people who can
contribute. That is not the same as maximising the number of people
who do contribute (although the latter will usually be a side product
of the former).

I'd also suggest that the history of the project shouldn't dictate the
future. I thought one of the concerns many people had about OOo in the
past was that there were too many barriers to to contributions.

Of course, there needs to needs to be a balance between putting effort
into enabling quick and simple contributions from everyone and getting
on with doing work.

Ross