incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal]
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2011 12:27:10 GMT
On 8 August 2011 12:45, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 8, 2011 at 7:00 AM, Wolf Halton <wolf.halton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would like to propose breaking out a couple more mailing lists

Be careful about splitting lists too early. I realise that traffic is
very high right now but it will die down. Splitting lists splits the
community, at this stage we are trying to build community.

There are better techniques than splitting the community up. For
example, the list should adopt a practice of tagging subject lines so
that people can filter appropriately. Sorry rather then a "Web
Content" list mails in this topic are should have subjects of the form
"[web] foo".

> I certainly see the need here.  But I wonder if we can make it a
> general "sysops" or "operations" list and have it be the place for
> admins/moderators of the wiki, the phpBB forums, Bugzilla, etc., to
> coordinate. I think we want to encourage these groups to stay in close
> contact with each other.

Generally the pull requirements for forums are less effective for
community building than the push of mailing lists, at least where we
are talking about technical users. EMail clients are very powerful,
forums are not. Email works offline, forums do not. etc.

> Why?  Because we can easily see the
> advantages of linking these systems together in advanced ways.  For
> example:
>
> 1) Easy way to promote a support forum question into a bugzilla issue

No advantage over mail lists.

> 2) Easy way to initiate a search of the documentation before entering
> a support forum post

Can be useful for user focussed resources but the initial proposal is
for "administering the
wiki daily operations would go, and documentation of versions of OOo".
Are you really going to force admins to do this, or are you going to
trust them?

> 3) Content analytics performed on support forum to identify new
> candidates for FAQ items

No advantage over mail lists.

Ross