incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Nóirín Plunkett <noi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making mailing lists useful (was Re: [Proposal])
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:19:34 GMT
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 4:11 PM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:

> I'm assuming that it is the new list subscriber that benefits most
> from this.  Existing subscribers will just follow the conventions they
> observe being used on the list.  Or do you expect to regularly check
> the wiki to see what new subject tags Simon has added?

I think it's highly unlikely that the new list subscriber will read
this in either location; I think the people who are most likely to
read it are those who've been on the list a few days, see that there
are a few tags floating around, and that the volume of mail is hectic.
(Yes, I know the static page says c. 57/day. I also know that most
people have no concept of what that means as an addition to their
normal mail flow.)

I expect those people not to be sure what to look for or where, but I
hope if they've seen a reasonably prominent mention on the static page
saying "This is a high-volume mailing list. Please use clear, relevant
subject lines, and consider using an appropriate tag for your mail. A
list of tags is available at [link].", that they'll figure it out.

I think the value of opening up that list to a broader range of
contributors is worth the cost of the extra click.

Noirin