incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Nóirín Plunkett <noi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making mailing lists useful (was Re: [Proposal])
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 15:59:37 GMT
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
>> -1
>>
>> Hey, a terrific blow for community there, Rob!
>>
>> Please don't ever do that again for a matter under active discussion.  Not ever.
>>
>> I urge you to revert those changes.
>>

> I disagree.   Bikeshedding on the list is not an impediment to action.
>  I implemented one of the proposals discussed on the list. It is in
> SVN.  If someone feels strongly, they can revert.  But note that in
> CTR, -1's are invalid unless accompanied by technical objections, a
> statement of an alternative proposal and a willingness to implement
> the alternative.

Reverting should really be a last resort. I had a technical objection,
a statement of an alternative proposal, and a willingness to implement
the alternative.

Granted, I didn't actually say "-1", but I still think it's pretty
poor show. Consensus is not "who commits first, wins", and meaningful
discussion that's still ongoing less than 48hrs after you made your
proposal hardly constitutes "bikeshedding".

I'm going out now, but I hope we can see a little more collaboration
and a little less bulldozing in the future.

Noirin