incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Nóirín Plunkett <noi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Making mailing lists useful (was Re: [Proposal])
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:31:02 GMT
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:

> The range of contributors to the website is identical to the range of
> contributors to the wiki.  The only difference is in the wiki case
> they need to take the additional step to sign up for an account on the
> wiki.  In other case they merely submit a patch to the mailing list
> they are already subscribed to.  So in terms of effort, the patch
> route is simpler for the contributor.

I'm not sure on what basis you make any of those assertions; I
certainly disagree.

There's a qualitative difference between submitting a patch that
someone else has to apply, and having the power to make a change
without having to wait for someone else to get to their mail and say
it's ok.

And, while you could argue either way as to how big the difference is
for a single patch, once you get into multiple patches, it seems clear
to me that the wiki route is simpler for the contributor.