incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [email] openoffice.org email / user transition
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 12:55:57 GMT
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 4:41 AM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> > I haven't seen any recent progress on planning the transition for
> openoffice.org email.
> >
> > Sooner or later the openoffice.org mail server will be replaced. We have
> seen that the system is flakey and has been down for as much as one week in
> the last month.
> >
> > (1) Mailing Lists. Maps have been proposed to transition the many mailing
> lists into fewer lists.
> >
> > Do all of these openoffice.org mailing list addresses become aliases for
> apache.org mailing list addresses?
> >

> Please, no.  OOo has an 100's of  mailing lists, many of then with
> very few subscribers and only spam as traffic.
>
> For example, the "Afar Language" project has 5 separate mailings list,
> but only one across them.  That is the commit message for the website:
>
> http://openoffice.org/projects/aa/lists
>
> Other projects get traffic, but it is entirely spam:
>
> http://openoffice.org/projects/about/lists/issues/archive
>

> So I think we end up, in the end, with a much much smaller number of
> lists.  Avoid the fragmentation and encourage collaboration.  If we
> have more than a dozen lists in the end I will be very disappointed.

i agree we don't need all the existing mailing lists.

Maybe we should send out a message to all lists that they will go out of
maintenance in the near future and that people should join the Apache
project. For now the ooo-dev list.

> > What about the subscribers to the mailing lists? Do we need to make them
> all resubscribe?
> >

> Perhaps we should decide that based on the existing OOo privacy policy.
>
> > (2) openoffice.org registered users.
> >
> > Should we have a way to maintain openoffice.org email aliases? Who do we
> do this for?
> >

> The problem we're going to run into is that there are both official
> openoffice.org email addresses, like webmaster@openoffice.org,
> stories@openoffice.org, cdrom@openoffice.org.  And then there are user
> accounts at the same domain, given out rather freely.
>
> If we are able to, under the site's existing privacy, to audit the
> user accounts, we should do so, to ensure that all of the "official"
> ones revert to the PPMC.  This would include ones that were intended
> to be official, as well as ones that may have been accidentally or
> even surreptitiously created, with names that imply they represent the
> project, e.g., sales@openoffice.org, either in English or in other
> languages.  I'm not saying such accounts exist, but it is prudent to
> check.

it's a difficult question to answer because from a community point of view
we would probably like to keep them all if possible. I would at least
request some kind of sign of life from any existing user account that she/he
want to keep this alias.

I have no real opinion how important a xy@openoffice.org email address is
for some users, i hope not really important. But who knows?

Juergen