incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Jürgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Making mailing lists useful (was Re: [Proposal])
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 16:17:46 GMT
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Nóirín Plunkett <noirin@apache.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> > <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> >> -1
> >>
> >> Hey, a terrific blow for community there, Rob!
> >>
> >> Please don't ever do that again for a matter under active discussion.
>  Not ever.
> >>
> >> I urge you to revert those changes.
> >>

> > I disagree.   Bikeshedding on the list is not an impediment to action.
> >  I implemented one of the proposals discussed on the list. It is in
> > SVN.  If someone feels strongly, they can revert.  But note that in
> > CTR, -1's are invalid unless accompanied by technical objections, a
> > statement of an alternative proposal and a willingness to implement
> > the alternative.
> >

> Reverting should really be a last resort. I had a technical objection,
> a statement of an alternative proposal, and a willingness to implement
> the alternative.
>
> Granted, I didn't actually say "-1", but I still think it's pretty
> poor show. Consensus is not "who commits first, wins", and meaningful
> discussion that's still ongoing less than 48hrs after you made your
> proposal hardly constitutes "bikeshedding".
>
> I'm going out now, but I hope we can see a little more collaboration
> and a little less bulldozing in the future.
>
> Noirin

we discuss a very minor detail in a long thread, maybe some wasted time
because it doesn't really matter where the tags are listed. I personally
agree to the place where Rob has inserted them now. But i can live with the
wiki also.

Let us see it form a different point of view. It belongs to more or less
organizational things or best practices how we want to communicate on our
mailing lists. We probably don't expect too much changes here in the future.
Besides the description of our mailing lists it is a good place because it
is directly related to these lists. So probably no concerns here. The
community wiki is maybe better used for other content where we expect much
more input and more frequent changes.

Is that ok for anybody?

Juergen