incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS| Info message to post on dev@api and dev@extensions
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2011 13:21:39 GMT
Hi,

as the former project lead of the API and Extensions project i would like to
post the following message on the dev@api.openoffice.org and
the future of these mailing lists. I will probably post something similar to
the other project related mailing lists but the dev@ lists are the most
relevant.The main goal is to inform and bring the subscribers over to the
new Apache project and the ooo-dev list for further communication and what
is more important to join the project actively.

Comments are welcome.

Juergen

####
Hi,

it's probably not really new for you but nevertheless i would like to inform
you that the OpenOffice.org project found a new home under the Apache
foundation (http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/index.html) and some
things are going different under Apache. We will have only one project -
Apache Open Office - and the number of mailing lists will be limited to only
a few (see http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/mailing-lists.html).
There is a common consensus that we will create new mailing lists with
specific topics if necessary but at the moment we will move forward with
only few lists to concentrate the information flow. From my point of view
it's an advantage compared to the former setup with many projects and many
project related mailing lists.

As the project lead of the API and Extension project i would like to inform
you that this mailing list will go end of life soon (exact date not known
yet) and further discussion on API and Extension specific topics should
happen on the ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org mailing list. I recommend that
you join the Apache OpenOffice project and subscribe on the ooo-dev list
asap and help to make this new Apache project successful in the same way as
before under the old setup. Well it's note really a new project but more the
continuation of the former official OpenOffice.org project. New in the sense
that it is now under the umbrella of the Apache foundation.

Maybe there will be some mail forwarding mechanisms established to ensure
that we won't lose any messages in the future but i hope that you all will
subscribe to the ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org mailing lists and that we
accept the new project under Apache as it is.

The migration of the project infrastructure to Apache is ongoing (source
code, website, wiki, forum, ...) and there are still a lot of things to do.
Every helping hand is welcome. Some things will change under Apache because
of the already existing rules there and we want to be a good and well formed
project there. Every change is also the opportunity to make things better
(if necessary) in the future. And you can be part of this important move of
OOo and can help to move things forward.

The good thing at Apache is that it is independent, well accepted in the
open source world and all project members are equal. Important is that the
rules of the Apache foundation and the project are accepted and that things
are getting done.

I hope to see you all on the new project and the
ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org mailing list soon. I am looking forward to an
interesting and challenging future of OOo under the umbrella of the Apache
foundation.

Regards

Juergen

####