incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [www] html instead of markdown (mdtext)?
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 15:30:07 GMT
On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 2:41 PM, Terry Ellison <Terry@ellisons.org.uk>wrote:

> Kay,
>
> Surely this is looking at the issue the wrong way around.  HTML is a lower
> lever of abstraction.  Yes, this suggestion makes life easier for the
> maintainer but at the expense of extra complexity/difficulty for the
> contributor -- especially as the average contributor isn't at ease working
> in HTML, so will tend to use some form of WYSIWYG editor.  Hence different
> editors can end up laying out the HTML completely differently if they use
> different tools to do this, so an svn differencing of two successive
> versions with minor content changes could end up looking entirely different.
>
> If we are going to HTML then perhaps it might be appropriate on this
> project to mandate the use of the OOo web editor for editing all such
> content.  Just a thought.

Terry--

Folks that have been maintaining areas of the OO.o website in the past have
used HTML. So, I don't think the barrier would be any different now if we
chose this, instead of Markdown, for the site. Plus, we need to import a LOT
of pages, ALL in html, that we simple can NOT convert to markdown.

Dave indicated the Apaches CMS gui tool also works with html, so I will play
with this to see what's it's like.

> Regards Terry
>

> On 11/08/11 19:55, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 10:13 AM, Dave Fisher<dave2wave@comcast.net>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>  On Aug 11, 2011, at 9:12 AM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>>>
>>>  I am proposing that we adopt plain HTML for the OOo website instead of
>>>>
>>> the current markdown (mdtext) implementation.
>>>
>>> We can mix and match.
>>>
>>>  yes, but... mdtext is converted to html anyway. I just think the
>> overhead --
>> i.e. maintenance by existing and "new" folks -- will be unweildy.
>>

>>  I hesitate to make this recommendation given ALL the time and research
>>>>
>>> Dave and others have already spent on the current incubator website, but,
>>> feel, given that we will be migrating a rather large existing site, it
>>> makes
>>> sense.
>>>
>>> Don't worry about me. What I've learned is useful to me even if we decide
>>> to take another approach.
>>>
>>> How do you propose handling all of the Kenai wrapping?
>>>

>> uh...I'll be honest...I am not familiar with the " Kenai wrapping". And I
>> dare say, probably few are. My *guess* is this in invovled in
>> headers,footers, and ????
>>
>> We might be able to ignore whatever this is and just get on with something
>> WAY simpler for the time being.
>>
>> The new site won't be registering users and probably doesn't need a lot of
>>
>>> the current *.vm and *.html.html files.
>>>
>>>  I also realize that doing this will "break" the ability to use the
>>>>
>>> editing capability of the Apache CMS, forcing everyone to use svn for
>>> page
>>> updates. However, I don't have a good feel right now for the ultimate