incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Community outreach to openoffice.org visitors?
Date Thu, 04 Aug 2011 18:18:33 GMT
On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 5:06 AM, Graham Lauder <yorick_@openoffice.org>wrote:

> On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 09:58:44 Andrew Rist wrote:
> > On 8/3/2011 2:27 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> > > An idea: is there any easy way to get it into the header, so it is on
> > > every page?  Something like "News: Apache OpenOffice.org!" with a
> > > link, perhaps to a new blog post.  We could first write a blog post,
> > > specifically reaching out to OOo community members and telling them
> > > how they can get involved.  Then, once that is posted, get that link
> > > out broadly, via the OOo website, wiki, mailing lists, forums,
> > > Facebook page, Twitter, etc.
> >
> > +1
> > I will take care of updating OOo site when we are ready
> > Andrew
> >
> > > It might make sense to wait until we first do the source migration and
> > > have Bugzilla, the wikis and forums migrated.  But right around then
> > > would be a good time to put out the word.
> > >

> > > -Rob
>

> We should probably be looking at a press release as well as part of that.
> We can use the announce@ list simultaneously, the majority of subscribers
> of
> which, are our target Audience.  If people are subscribed to that list
> anything sent via  that medium can't be considered spam.

Graham--

Are you talking about annoucements@openoffice.org? We had a small discussion
about this list a few weeks ago and Marcus pointed out that that list is
"moderated ". So...yes, we should definitely use this and hope whoever IS
the moderator jsut pushes the announcement through. I don't think we got an
answer on this. I'll make some contacts and see what I can determine.

> Releases should go just to the tech press to remind them that the project
> is
> alive and kicking, wider than that is probably not necessary at this stage.
>
> Next press release after that should be to announce the "Non Apache"
> release
> if there is going to be one (I've made my feelings on this release known
> but
> we'll see what the consensus is)
>
> In the past press releases were hacked about with on the private PR list or
> on
> occasion the also private MarCon list, for obvious reasons.  Is there a
> policy
> for creating such marketing materials here at Apache.
>
> Cheers
> GL

> the

> sites,

MzK

"If you can keep your head when all others around you
 are losing theirs - maybe you don't fully understand
 the situation!"
                            -- Unknown