incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Fundraising
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 00:28:29 GMT
On Sun, Aug 14, 2011 at 1:22 AM, Andy Brown <andy@the-martin-byrd.net>wrote:

> Simon Phipps wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Eike Rathke<ooo@erack.de>  wrote:
>>

>>> Team OOo paid bursaries for individuals that went to OOoCons and
>>> Hackfest, paid hardware for buildbots and pootle servers, paid students
>>> for the OOo internship. Do you think that Apache will cover those
>>> expenses?
>>>

>> It's worth noting that these grants were always made by Team OOo (and
>> indeed
>> by FrODev) at their sole discretion and without any ability to officially
>> direct them from the OOo project itself. I find it hard to see how Apache
>> would be able to unilaterally shut down an independent, complementary
>> activity like this.
>>
>> As to Shane's point about referring to some other list; presumably, as in
>> other instances of this, we'd need to have a proposal formulated before
>> doing that, and hence the topic is still appropriate here.
>>
>> S.
>>

> Seems to me there are two options open.
>
> 1) The grants are made to Apache with no strings attached.
>
> 2) The businesses stop receiving donations for OpenOffice.org.
>
> For either someone that has worked with the organizations that is a member
> here needs to contact them and see what they can/ are willing to do.

I don't follow that reasoning. If (hypothetically) I want to pay for you to
go to Bermuda for a vacation, it's between you and me and no business of the
Bermuda Tourist Commission. So while I can see the hardware donations will
have to end, why is it anything to do with this project if (also
hypothetically) Team OOo wants to pay for you to go to ApacheCon in
Vancouver where you've got a paper on AOOo accepted, or wants to pay a
student to work on AOOo code for the summer?

S.