incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Fundraising
Date Sun, 14 Aug 2011 02:41:30 GMT
On Aug 14, 2011 3:33 AM, "Andy Brown" <andy@the-martin-byrd.net> wrote:

> Simon Phipps wrote:
>

>> I don't follow that reasoning. If (hypothetically) I want to pay for you
>> go to Bermuda for a vacation, it's between you and me and no business of
the
>> Bermuda Tourist Commission. So while I can see the hardware donations
will
>> have to end, why is it anything to do with this project if (also
>> hypothetically) Team OOo wants to pay for you to go to ApacheCon in
>> Vancouver where you've got a paper on AOOo accepted, or wants to pay a
>> student to work on AOOo code for the summer?
>>
>> S.
>>

> Well, it not the first time, but it seems I have misread/misunderstood
what was being discussed.  It would seem as long as funds are not sent
through ASF and does not use 'trademarked' items they can do as they wish.

> Apologizes to all for confusing the matter.

No worries; I think you expressed an outlook others held too. It helps
refine what the actual issue at hand may be.

I think that issue is: do we want third-party groups to be free to raise
funds on the grounds they will use them in relation to AOOo and if so what
guidelines do we need?  (This would be my preferred option)

Alternatively, do we wish to devise a trademark-related policy that would
prevent and/or discourage them from doing so?  (I currently view this
negatively)

S.