incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Scope/Mission of AOOo
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:30:12 GMT
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> Could you point us to your proposal?  Or should we still be looking at
> your earlier proposal, the one I linked to?  When you have a new
> proposal, I'll be glad to comment.

The email you snipped all the content from in your reply included a number
of proposals :-)    I've reproduced some of them below for your convenience.

> But note that a proposal to discuss something isn't really a proposal.
>  A proposal is a proposal for a particular action.  We should try to
> limit undirected chatter on this list.  This is a working list, for
> AOOo dev.  We need to preserve focus.

On the contrary, ideas that extend beyond the scope of "I would like to do"
have to be discussed before firm proposals can be made. Otherwise the
proposals get dismissed out of hand by opponents because they don't have
consensus, as I think you have just proved.

So:

* I  suggest we review realistically what binaries (platforms and languages)
can be sustained once the project is fully operational, seeking named
participants to take responsibility for each of them, and then collaborate
with other projects to ensure that the user community continues to be fully
served. It may be too early for this discussion.

* I suggest that end-users should be supported by shared forums or a
GetSatisfaction-style collaborative venue serving all OpenOffice-family
projects, hosted on the OpenOffice.org domain so it's easy to find. This
discussion is already in progress and my suggestion is a rough summary of
possible consensus.

Feel free to start new threads if you prefer :-)

S.