incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: [www] Color me Copyright-confused
Date Wed, 10 Aug 2011 12:17:01 GMT
On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 5:47 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton
<dennis.hamilton@acm.org>wrote:

>  3. MORE EXCITING is that the OpenOffice.org page itself is identified as
> having been revised on 2011-07-29 and it has this fascinating statement
> (also found on our www-sandbox copy):
>
> "[4.]b. Source Code Submissions. You agree that any source code You
> contribute to a Project will be submitted under, and subject to, the license
> posted for that Project. If no license is posted, You agree that Your
> Submission will be governed by the Apache License, Version 2.0, which terms
> can be found at http://opensource.org/licenses/apache2.0.php. You
> acknowledge that You are responsible for including all applicable copyright
> notices and licenses with Your Submissions, and that You assume the risks of
> failing to do so, including the potential loss of Your rights to Your
> Submissions."
>
> Does anyone know what this said before, when it was changed, and who
> changed it?  Or has it been this way pretty much all along?

I'm not sure as I no longer have the necessary mail archive for reference,
but I suspect this language may have been inserted by Sun when we tidied up
the web site ToS we had inherited from CollabNet a few years ago.

It is intended to make sure that code contributions are always under an
identifiable open source license, and we picked AL2 because that was my
recommendation as the best permissive open source license. Since (unlike
assignment) licensing does not need a physical signature under the laws we
most cared about, including this clause in the ToS gave the same effect as
the Apache ICLA but without the  return of a piece of paper.

S.