incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: User support: beyond forums or lists
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 00:58:05 GMT
On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 1:44 AM, drew <drew@baseanswers.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 01:36 +0100, Simon Phipps wrote:
>
> > Apologies if this ought to be clear to me, but are you proposing:
>
> No apologies needed - I'm touchy on the subject...so just slap the back
> of my head now and then when I need it :)

No worries :-)

> > 1. AOOo sets up support forums (or lists) exclusively related to its own
> activities
>
> Yes - as long as it is two projects and right now that is true. With the
> current circumstances I do not see the projects merging again, unless
> one just capitulates to the other. (see M.M. closing slide from his
> latest talk)
>
> The applications are already starting to diverge and if the plans I'm
> hearing about come true this will accelerate.

Given the level of many of the questions I've seen over the years, I believe
there will still be enough in common to permit a top-level support forum
somewhere like "support.openoffice.org" for "family" projects that then
links to project-specific venues for detailed issues.

> > 2. AOOo collaborates with other OpenOffice community projects such as
> LibreOffice over this
>
> Right now that is possible, as long as it is possible than I am for it,
> but for how long that will continue I can't say.

I think we still need to have a serious discussion about the scope of the
ambitions of AOOo - it's been raised before but deferred pending actually
having a repo to work on. If the project chooses to maintain core code
rather than attempt a full-scale clone of the former OOo project, it's
entirely possible that commonality will remain.

> > 3. We do neither of these and allow spontaneous self-support to develop
> elsewhere?
>
> Well, that is what happened in the past. I would rather it be a bit more
> coordinated this time.

+1

S.