incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: How to handle the downloads?
Date Wed, 03 Aug 2011 18:22:19 GMT
Hi Marcus,

This is really good.

> I've updated the diagram with more details and divided it into a 3-way-method:
>
> Download Choice #1:
> Of course the One-Click-Download URL.
>
> Download Choice #2:
> If an install file is available (wrong OS, no language, etc.) the user can select from
a pre-defined list.

> Download Choice #3:
> The user can search for himself the most appropriate mirror server.

Essentially with a little "JS" magic we will choose between three different download pages.

I think that the download/index.html page should show text about what is being identified
and then an indication that a load to go to #2 or #3 is happening and why. If there is a delay
of 10 seconds the user might want to choose #2 or #3 automatically.

And of course as now #2 and #3 are choices from the right side navigation.

Regards,
Dave