incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: How to rebuild types.rdb ?
Date Thu, 18 Aug 2011 07:05:07 GMT
Hi Stephan,

Le 17 août 11 à 20:20, Stephan Bergmann a écrit :

> On Aug 16, 2011, at 9:27 AM, eric b wrote:

>>> I think that this is the reference file that is used to check the
>>> IDL files against incompatible changes.
>>>

>> Thanks to confirm what I had in mind :-)
>>
>> Does this method to allow "OpenOffice.org growing" only ?  If we
>> systematicaly compare to an existing but fixed blob, we have no
>> way to remove useless/no longer needed services ? (but maybe I
>> misunderstood )
>
> The relevant items in types.rdb are flagged as "published," meaning
> they must not change or be taken away (unless we want to become
> incompatible).

That's my concern, but better discuss on IRC too ?

>> With a cold start, occurs a big and costly I/O read write process.
>> Searching what seems to cause that, it appears the .rdb files are
>> good candidates. I can be plain wrong, but I think there are a lot
>> of services embedded in the interface, who probably could be
>> loaded ... say somethingl like on demand or at least differently,
>> no ?
>
> Reading a few large files during startup is typically faster
> overall than reading information in small chunks, on demand.
> (That's why I changed the configmgr's .xcs/.xcu files, combining
> them into a handful of large .xcd files, for example.)

I think I'll implement this in OOoLight, OOo4Kids. Two goals :
understand, document and be able to explain people learning OOo
source code, and continue to analyze the perf improvement.

Do you remember the name of the cws ?  I'd like to study the diffs.
Of course, we could discuss about that on IRC too (more easy for me
too).

>   And yes, Mathias, IIRC Matthias did indeed improve something
> about the performance of the binary format used by types.rdb not
> too long ago,
> but can't remember what it was.

Well, I think I missed the information, but I'll ask Mathias.

Regards,
Eric

--
qɔᴉɹə