incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Tony Stevenson <t...@pc-tony.com>
Subject Re: Request for comments: Community Wiki Services web page.
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 08:37:46 GMT

On 9 Aug 2011, at 00:38, Andrew Rist wrote:

[SNIP …]

> I'm following everything here (both on ooo-dev@a.o and infrastructure@a.o) and I'll keep
chiming in when I have substance to add.

> With the grant for the trademarks and domain names officially done, we're at the beginning
of the 'physical transfer' phase.
> My assumption on the domains, is that the transfer of the DNS transfer to Apache is a
separate issue from the transfer of the hosting of one or another service.  At first, before
transfer of the DNS, if a particular service has been stood up at Apache, and everything is
ready, the DNS on Oracle's side will be pointed to the Apache service (just as extensions.services.openoffice.org
now points to oooapps.osuosl.org).  At some point we transfer the DNS, but leave it pointing
to the same places.  At that point we can continue to move the remaining services over to
the Apache side.

Andrew, I'd actually suggest we do it the other way round.  We transfer DNS first, and that
way we can quickly change DNS ourselves for when we want to point a given service at an ASF
host.  Unless we're not allowed the DNS for some reason.

Tony

Tony Stevenson

tony@pc-tony.com // pctony@apache.org
tony@caret.cam.ac.uk