incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [WWW] Web analytics
Date Fri, 12 Aug 2011 16:48:22 GMT

On Aug 12, 2011, at 9:35 AM, Simon Phipps wrote:

> On 12 Aug 2011, at 16:30, drew wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Well, I thought I'd start this list - unless folks think it is too soon
>> of course.
>>
>> Currently the OO.o web sites, all of them, utilize a third party
>> analytics firm (not Google). This is done by requiring that each site
>> inject a small bit of JS in the page footer. (this was another
>> requirement for the forums as an example and is used also at the
>> extension/template repository)
>>
>> Going forward does the PPMC desire to use a third party analytic firm -
>> i.e. Google.
>>
>> or
>>
>> Do we prefer to do it all in-house. (just guessing that their may be
>> some knowledge on this subject in the overall Apache project :)
>

> Before taking that step, it's worth asking if the project actually has a need for web
analytics yet. They were included on OO.o site mainly because Sun was using the data as part
of its business metrics. It's not obvious that the same need exists in AOOo.

It is important to consider now because it does effect the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
If we are doing analytics then we are collecting information, even if anonymized.

Regards,
Dave