incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From eric b <eric.bach...@free.fr>
Subject Re: Fundraising
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 06:47:44 GMT
Hi,

Le 14 août 11 à 12:24, Andrea Pescetti a écrit :

> On 14/08/2011 eric b wrote:
>> Le 13 août 11 à 17:44, Andrea Pescetti a écrit :
>>> PLIO, the association corresponding to the Italian Native-Lang
>>> Project, has been a registered charity in Italy since 2005 and
>>> receives contributions from Italian taxpayers, that we invest
>>> back in
>>> OpenOffice.org-related activities.
>> Is it still the case ? Was an action for OpenOffice.org made since
>> last
>> year (e.g.) ?
>
> We localized and released OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 in Italian, we kept
> the Italian Dictionary extension up-to-date with regular releases,
> we made some QA on OpenOffice.org 3.4 beta, we held our regular
> annual assembly at the end of April 2011 and we approved projects
> that are still inherently fuzzy due the obviously unstable
> situation that has persisted from April until now.
>
> (But, especially as we are on this mailing list, I have to state
> that, while I am a Board Member of PLIO, I cannot speak on behalf
> of PLIO; head to http://www.plio.it/ if you want to officially
> contact PLIO).

Ok.

>>> However, on our OpenOffice.org pages http://it.openoffice.org/ we
>>> don't mention this: we only use http://www.plio.it/ for advertising
>>> and fundraising. So we are not affected by the OpenOffice.org
>>> fundraising policy.
>> I read the content of the site you mentionned aboce, and it looks
>> abandoned : the last articles are not recent IMHO.
>
> Both sites have been in minimal maintenance for years, but not
> abandoned at all.
>
> On http://it.openoffice.org/ we had to wait years for the
> infrastructure migration to Kenai, that came in February 2011 when
> the future of OpenOffice.org and of that infrastructure became less
> and less certain (and I'm now glad that we didn't waste time on
> updating a web infrastructure that is not going to last).
>
> On http://www.plio.it/ we publish 4-5 articles per year, mostly
> coincident with OpenOffice.org releases and conference. So I'd say
> it's normal that the latest article is about OOo 3.3.0: we would
> have more recent articles, had there been new releases or a
> conference.

Wasn't there something about 3.4.0 ? I remember there was an rc ?

>> More recently, PLIO members posted that :
>> http://punto-informatico.it/3018399/PI/Lettere/lettere-openoffice-
>> libreoffice-plio.aspx
>> (I found other PR about PLIO)
>
> I don't understand this. Anyway, the facts stated there are correct
> (basically, PLIO goes on in spite of whatever arguments
> corporations or groups have, and we give community support to
> everyone). If you find this relevant, Italo Vignoli is no longer
> President of PLIO.

I was not aware about Italo Vignoli, thanks for the info.

educoo.us and educoo.de are .. I'd say not correctly maintained
(because owned by pro-LO people). As you understood, my concern is
EducOO.it  : Marina Latini does a fantastic work and helps us a lot.

I'm simply colllecting information in fact :-)

>> Can you please explain us more what is the current PLIO goal ?
>
> Our statute is online at http://www.plio.it/ and it dates back to
> 2005; especially on this mailing list, it suffices to say that PLIO
> is a charity that, through (unpaid) volunteer activity by its
> members, aims at improving and promoting OpenOffice.org, related
> software, auxiliary tools, open formats and free software in general.

I'd like to understand who PLIO does support exactly.

What I read told me PLIO has choosen LibreOffice, and that's why I
ask. Please think I limit my analyze to just facts, and there is no
statement from my part.

> (Again, if someone missed it: I'm not entitled to speak officially
> on behalf of PLIO, but as long as it may be relevant to this
> mailing list I'll provide information about how it works).

I understand, thanks for your frank answer :-)

Last but not least, I'll attend Milano Linux Days (22 October). Maybe
we could discuss more about that ?

Regards,
Eric Bachard

--