incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: openoffice.org domains transferred to ASF
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2011 21:39:29 GMT

On Aug 17, 2011, at 1:00 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Shane Curcuru <asf@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
>> Dear PPMC: please note that a few days ago Oracle and the ASF signed the
>> legal agreement to transfer ownership of a variety of ooo related domain
>> names to the ASF.  Yay!
>>
>> Along with the other great work on moving content, you need to work with
>> infrastructure@ to ensure that the actual domain name registration ownership
>> is transferred to the Apache infrastructure team - at least, for any domain
>> names that the podling definitely wants to continue using.
>>
>> The list of domains includes:
>>
>> http://openoffice.org
>> http://testopenoffice.org
>> http://openoffice2009.com
>> http://openoffice-gratuit.com
>> http://openoffice-pt.com
>> http://openoffice-pl.com
>> http://openoffice-nl.com
>> http://openoffice-fr.com
>> http://openoffice09fr.com
>> http://de-openoffice.org
>> http://deopenoffice.org
>> http://www-open-office.org
>> http://wwwopen-office.org
>> http://de-openoffice.com
>> http://deopenoffice.com
>> http://es-openoffice.com
>> http://esopenoffice.com
>> http://fr-openoffice.com
>> http://fropenoffice.com
>> http://it-openoffice.com
>> http://itopenoffice.com
>> http://en-openoffice.org
>> http://enopenoffice.org
>> http://es-openoffice.org
>> http://esopenoffice.org
>> http://fr-openoffice.org
>> http://it-openoffice.org
>> http://itopenoffice.org
>> http://nl-openoffice.org
>> http://nlopenoffice.org
>> http://openoffice.org.il
>> http://itopenoffice.org
>>

> Most of these don't appear to have much independent content.

Most point to www.oracle.com.

Some have no dns or the DNS is non-functional
 openoffice2009.com
 openoffice-gratuit.com
 openoffice-pt.com
 openoffice-pl.com
 openoffice-nl.com
 openoffice-fr.com
 openoffice09fr.com

Have these Authoritative servers.
    NS63.1AND1.ES
    NS64.1AND1.ES

openoffice2009.com expires tomorrow, others of the above are soon.

openoffice.org.il is in Hebrew and is the Israeli community.

fropenoffice.com is on a "search" server that seems wrong to me.
http://sedoparking.com/search/registrar.php?domain=fropenoffice.com&registrar=sedopark

Authoritative servers:
   NS2.NLPDNS.COM
   NS1.NLPDNS.COM

All registration is with TuCows.

The only real site or expectations that must be considered is openoffice.org.il - all of the
others can be redirected to www.openoffice.org until we have a better place.

The more immediate choice is what registrations to transfer and which should be dropped.

>  I wonder
> whether something like this would be more maintainable going forward,
> to have a destination page for each language:
>
> Assuming our eventual TLP home is:  http://openoffice.apache.org, then
> we could have:
>
> http://openoffice.apache.org/de
> http://openoffice.apache.org/es
> http://openoffice.apache.org/pl
> http://openoffice.apache.org/it
>
> and so on.
>
> Then have the existing domain names redirect to these.
>
> Alternatively, we could do this via openoffice.org addresses:
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/de
> http://www.openoffice.org/es
> http://www.openoffice.org/pl
> http://www.openoffice.org/it
>
> or even via subdomains:
>
> http://de.openoffice.org/
> http://es.openoffice.org/
> http://pl.openoffice.orgl
> http://it.openoffice.org/
>
> Any committer should be able to add a new language at
> http://www.openoffice.org/foo, but wouldn't adding a new subdomain
> require working with Apache Infra.  Or is there some magic we can do
> with Apache server to make these map automatically via a rule?

How we handle openoffice.org and the subdomains is a real question.

Redirecting de.openoffice.org to www.openoffice.org/de would be the best thing.

Seems like something for httpd.conf and mod_rewrite.

> But I think this all leads back to the same basic question:  Do we
> want users to have a different home page than project volunteers?  I
> think so.  But we can still do that page via markdown, stored in SVN.
> The question is only what domain names we direct to those pages.
>

>> Reminder: Apache projects normally host all their content on a *.apache.org
>> domain.  I believe that in ooo's case, the future project will want to host
>> some content on other, non-a.o domains; however we should strive to make
>> most of the project be on an Apache site.

The approach I am taking with the openoffice.org content is to defer that decision as long
as possible.

I think we are nearly ready to define the problem for infrastructure.

Regards,
Dave