incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: User support: beyond forums or lists
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 00:36:04 GMT

On 24 Aug 2011, at 01:28, drew wrote:

>> <snip>
>
>> So far the LibreOffice project has avoided creating support forums that "compete"
with the openoffice.org lists; would it be smart to explore a way to have this broader, collaborative
support in place?

> I would not characterize it quite that way - LibreOffice has taken the
> same path that OO.o took, which is to say they have eschewed web based
> support, and that TTBOMK had nothing to do with not wanting to compete
> with OO.o forums.
>
> This leads to un-official forums opening (likely would anyway, IMO),
> indeed there are already multiple LibreOffice web forums up and running
> (with one already showing signs of failing) - TDF leaders refuses to
> acknowledge these as being part of the 'community' just as the OO.o
> leadership did in the past.
>
> Finally and I'm sorry to say this but much of this conversation IMO ends
> up coming down to money - folks want support contracts and too much good
> quality free support cuts into that business, just my opinion.
>
> Until people are willing to just deal with that head on and honestly
> then this subject tends to deteriorate quickly.

Apologies if this ought to be clear to me, but are you proposing:

1. AOOo sets up support forums (or lists) exclusively related to its own activities
2. AOOo collaborates with other OpenOffice community projects such as LibreOffice over this
3. We do neither of these and allow spontaneous self-support to develop elsewhere?

Thanks

S.