incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Refactoring the brand: Apache ooo + OpenOffice.org? (was re:OpenOffice.org branding)
Date Tue, 02 Aug 2011 14:39:30 GMT

On Aug 2, 2011, at 7:32 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> -1
>
> I don't understand why there is continued pressing that things not in a release have
to be treated as if it requires the same treatment as the content of a release.  I thought
we had worked a high-level sketch of the user documentation case with Jean Hollis Weber some
time ago on this list.

> There are cross-over cases, such as authoring of what will be embedded help (in many
languages) and also the support for on-line help.  But even for on-line help it would be great
if it could be community-augmented.

> All we're accomplishing here is guaranteeing that the only well-written documents and
congenial forums for users will carry the LibreOffice logo.

> We already have two separate wikis, one that the community uses and one that requires
committers to make the changes.  I notice the second one is not getting much activity.

> I think this stance is too heavy-handed in an area where there is no demonstration of
harm and a great need for community engagement.  We need to be flexible here, and quickly
too.

+1 - Let's listen carefully. We don't have to have all the answers immediately and we don't
need to drown in slew of emails.

Regards,
Dave