incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] Give the BHV publishing house in Kaarst/Germany the permission to use the OpenOffice.org trademark and logo
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2011 18:19:11 GMT

On Aug 28, 2011, at 9:32 AM, Peter Junge wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose --*seeking lazy consensus*-- that the BHV publishing GmbH, Novesiastrasse
60, D-41564 Kaarst (Germany) is permitted to use the OpenOffice.org logo and trademark for
their book (in preparation) "OpenOffice.org 3.3 für Ein- und Umsteiger" [1] [2], means something
like "OOo 3.3 for beginners and people who are migrating" in English. This package includes
a handbook (printed and eBook) and a DVD with the OOo binaries. The OOo logo and trademark
would be used on the book cover, within the book and on the label of the DVD. BHV has been
publishing similar books for previous versions of OOo for many years, e.g. [3].

> I would like to advocate granting the OOo logo usage to BHV, as such books foster the
public visibility of OOo.

> Mr. Ralf Kraft, representing BHV (nit subscribed to this ML) is on CC. (NOTE: The mock-up
of the cover is still using the old OOo logo, but I already have been pointing out to Mr.
Kraft that using the latest logo [4] would be preferred.)

> Best regards,
> Peter
>
> [1] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8268859/OpenOfficeSkribble.jpg
> [2] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8268859/PI-OpenOfficeV33Pro.odt (including ISBN code)
> [3] http://www.amazon.de/dp/3826673476?m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&tag=idealoversand-21
> [4] http://about.openoffice.org/index.html#logo

The following may not be the exact wording, but the trademarks are now Apache's.

"OpenOffice.org and the seagull logo are registered trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation."

We should be changing [4] for the project to include an circled R instead of TM, but I don't
think that is a stopper.

If the Apache OpenOffice (incubating) podling is mentioned then the following language is
probably required:

"Apache "OpenOffice.org" is an effort undergoing incubation at The Apache Software Foundation
(ASF), sponsored by the Apache Incubator. Incubation is required of all newly accepted projects
until a further review indicates that the infrastructure, communications, and decision making
process	have stabilized in a manner consistent with other successful ASF projects. While incubation
status is not necessarily a reflection of the completeness or stability of the code, it does
indicate that the project has yet to be fully endorsed by the ASF. "

For Apache,

"Apache is a trademark of The Apache Software Foundation"

I'm sure that Rob will chime in when he has his power restored post Hurricane Irene.

Regards,
Dave