incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [www] Color me Copyright-confused
Date Tue, 09 Aug 2011 05:23:09 GMT
Hi Dennis,

> I was nosing around in the web pages at http://incubator.apache.org/openoffice/www/ to
understand exactly what is going on with addition of "Copyright 2011 The Apache Software Foundation"
as a footer and the inclusion of the
> <!-- Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
>    contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
>    this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
>    [ ... ]
>    -->
> as HTML comments in the <head> element of pages, etc.

We are now able to wrap html with the Apache CMS. See recent commits to the templates and
lib/view.pm and path.pm files. Next step is to apply the framework that I suggested.

> 1. I am not clear what principle is being applied here and what the conditions of its
application might be.  (I'm not sure where there is {intended to be} a NOTICE file, either.)
 [The project notes for this don't mention this particular kind of change.]

We are doing preliminary conversions. We are yet to consistently apply licensing, etc.

I am not clear on what the best approach is to converting the various javascript and css files
used on the OOo Kenai to the Apache CMS. Nevertheless progress has been made.

If we need a NOTICE we can add it.

> 2. I also see that this page, which is in that www sandbox too, has those modifications:
> <http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/www/terms_of_use.html>.  But the content
appears to be the same as this: <http://openoffice.org/terms_of_use>, so somehow the
Apache copyright notice doesn't seem apt.

Yes, this is content that ought to be replaced by the work that Drew has started on one thread,
and I have mentioned on another  It is irrelevant if this is converted to mdtext or kept as
html , either will work. We can easily adapt the process to exclude in the sidenav.html for
certain mdtext files. We would add a header variable to the mdtext and then check for it.

> 3. MORE EXCITING is that the OpenOffice.org page itself is identified as having been
revised on 2011-07-29 and it has this fascinating statement (also found on our www-sandbox
copy):

> "[4.]b. Source Code Submissions. You agree that any source code You contribute to a Project
will be submitted under, and subject to, the license posted for that Project. If no license
is posted, You agree that Your Submission will be governed by the Apache License, Version
2.0, which terms can be found at http://opensource.org/licenses/apache2.0.php. You acknowledge
that You are responsible for including all applicable copyright notices and licenses with
Your Submissions, and that You assume the risks of failing to do so, including the potential
loss of Your rights to Your Submissions."

You will need to examine the kenai web repos to see who that was, I suspect someone on the
ooo-dev list did it, but it is in our svn now! We can start making the new www.openoffice.org
now!

http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/www/ is the place to create the all inclusive terms
of use, privacy policy, and the rest to be linked to from all of the future footers.

> Does anyone know what this said before, when it was changed, and who changed it?  Or
has it been this way pretty much all along?

Check the Kenai svn (ooo/trunk/tools/dev/kenai2website.sh), or Kay, or someone else?

Regards,
Dave