incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Phipps <si...@webmink.com>
Subject Re: Access to wiki
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 19:39:50 GMT

On 7 Aug 2011, at 16:46, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 7, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Simon Phipps <simon@webmink.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Rob Weir <apache@robweir.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Maybe I'm too skeptical,  but do we really have thousands of non core
>>> project members dropping in for minutes at a time, adding information
>>> on the architecture of OOo?  And build instructions? Looking at the
>>> history of these pages, it looks more like this is core dev-enabling
>>> information that should be part of the core project website
>>

>> "Thousands" is hyperbole. The wiki has been a meta-community resource
>
> I'd be happy for someone to to provide a more accurate number.

I assert it is not relevant, regardless of the number. Let's solve problems we have, not problems
we don't (and haven't had so far).

>> throughout the history of the project, and shutting it down so the only way
>> to use it is to sign up to Apache is the wrong move. I see a whole lot of
>> YAGNI thinking going on here. How about adopting the principle of being as
>> permissive as possible until there's a problem that needs solving?
>>

> I agree that we should be as permissive as possible, but consistent
> with the need to produce documentation and other project publications
> that are authoritative, compatibly licensed, and approved by the PPMC.
> There may be other pages on the wiki where these concerns do not
> apply, and those can be handled differently.  But it is faulty logic,
> a false dichotomy, that suggests we either do everything as it was
> before or we "shut it down so the only way to use it is to sign up to
> Apache".

I call straw-man. No-one is asserting that dichotomy. I'm proposing a design principle for
the new wiki: allow access as widely as possible and apply restrictions only as problems arise.

S.