incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Access to wiki
Date Sun, 07 Aug 2011 03:55:58 GMT

On Aug 6, 2011, at 7:07 PM, Jean Hollis Weber wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-08-06 at 21:05 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>> I don't think that we can simply say, "If it is
>> not official product doc in a release then it is appropriate to allow
>> anyone to edit it anonymously under whatever license they want".
>
> To me this is a complete strawman. I don't think anyone has suggested or
> is advocating either anonymity or "any license you want" for future
> edits. Every community wiki I've seen has some statement that if you
> contribute to the wiki in any way, you agree for your work to be under
> the stated license for the wiki (or the specific page), and/or when you
> get an account on the wiki you are required to agree to the license.
> This is a very low barrier to participation, in terms of both time and
> effort required, but it is NOT the same as going through the steps to
> get committer status... unless there is some legal or other reason that
> a simple "I agree to the license" isn't good enough.

+1.

If we can survey existing users of the Wiki (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:SimpleSurvey/Specifications)
then I think we can educate users about the migration and the license changes.

We will need to reassure the user that we will either respect the terms of their previous
contributions, or allow them to agree to a change. It they agree then we'll have the ability
to use their contributions without checking. On the downside we may need to allow them to
remove prior contributions.

Regards,
Dave