incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <>
Subject Re: Who wants to build OpenOffice?
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:48:36 GMT
Am 31.08.2011 19:32, schrieb Mathias Bauer:

> Am 31.08.2011 18:16, schrieb Kay Schenk:
>> Is everything on this page
>> including the Building Guide at --
>> still current?
> I can't tell about everything, but the instructions for Ubuntu and
> Windows are close to that. The Ubuntu build instructions need two additions:
> - sudo apt-get epm is required
> - we should give recommended configure switches (--disable-librsvg is
> still needed as we didn't fix the bug wrt. to librsvg)
> As soon as my Windows build is done, I can tell you more about that one.

OK, my Windows build was successful. So obviously the two perl modules
that didn't install properly are not needed for a standard build.

If you follow the build instructions at

try to install only one additional perl module: Archive::Zip, all others
might be obsolete. Installing the modules URL::Parser and URI failed for
me with the latest cygwin. The first module needs gcc4 to be compiled,
but installing it lead to compilation errors. The second one also gave
some compilation errors, so I don't have an idea if something was
installed and in which state that is. At least the pm files should have
been installed and so might be somewhat usable, but it's possible that
we just don't need them. So first try without them and wait if
"configure" complains or if the build misses some perl stuff. You still
can install the modules later in that case.

Here's the configure command line I have used:

./configure \
  --with-cl-home="/cygdrive/j/OOO/msvc9p" \
  --with-mspdb-path="/cygdrive/j/OOO/msvc9p/Common7/IDE" \
  --with-frame-home="/cygdrive/j/OOO/msvc9p/PlatformSDK/v6.1" \
  --with-psdk-home="/cygdrive/j/OOO/msvc9p/PlatformSDK/v6.1" \
  --with-midl-path="/cygdrive/j/OOO/msvc9p/PlatformSDK/v6.1/Bin" \
  --with-asm-home="/cygdrive/j/OOO/msvc9p" \
  --with-jdk-home="/cygdrive/j/OOO/jdk1.5.0_22" \
  --with-csc-path="/cygdrive/j/OOO/msvc9p/SDK/v3.5" \
  --with-directx-home="/cygdrive/j/OOO/msvc9p/DirectXSDK" \
  --with-ant-home=/ant \
  --without-junit \
  --enable-pch \
  --enable-werror \
  --with-external-tar=j:/OOO/ext_sources \

You should use all these switches, but IMHO you don't need any others.
Of course you must adjust the path names. As you can see, I have
installed everything to a special build hard disk and made sure that the
install paths don't have blanks. It *shouldn't* be necessary to avoid
blanks, but I have learned to avoid them. Being paranoid doesn't mean
that "they" aren't after you...

"--enable-pch" speeds up the build by at least 20%.

View raw message