incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: [ooo-user] was RE: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 21:07:50 GMT
On 8/31/2011 16:56, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> When's the last time you heard of malicious code in a Microsoft Office file?  No recent
version will run macro code without warning and default disabling on load.  I would expect
mail clients to also be circumspect about allowing direct opening of document files provided
as attachments.

Funny you should mention that. That very problem occurred on Bugzilla,
with DOC attachments bearing Trojan viruses. --/tj/

> I think the recommendation for those, for the wary, would be to allow Zip and encourage
people to package anything simpler than an image that way.  Of course images and PDFs have
exploits too.

> Perhaps the truly-safe cases are only text and zip?
>
> I don't know about you, but I also only receive e-mail in plaintext.
>
>   - Dennis
<snip>