incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <>
Subject Re: Who wants to build OpenOffice?
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 18:57:39 GMT
Am 31.08.2011 20:34, schrieb Eike Rathke:

> Hi Rob,
> On Wednesday, 2011-08-31 12:01:31 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>> BTW, what should say the pre-reqs are for storage?  Source, including
>> /main and /extras is around 4GB.  Matthias suggested 70 GB for
>> building, which could be done on fast external storage.  So 75 GB free
>> space total is reasonable?
> One non-debug build on Linux can be done with roughly 8-10GB (git svn,
> add 2-3GB when using plain svn) plus 5GB or more if you use ccache
> (recommended), don't know about Windows. Building libraries with debug
> can get huge on all platforms, I have no real numbers for that as I only
> build selected modules with debug as needed. I think 20GB are sufficient
> for a normal non-debug build. Add more if your mileage varies and don't
> just want to build, Matthias' estimation is probably a good rule of
> thumb.

My estimation was based on the assumption that someone actually wants to
work on the code, not just build it. So reserving some space for
debugging or a second repository for another version would be a good
idea. If you just want to build the code on Linux, you can get away with
half the disk space (~30 GB working space + system), I guess. Currently
I'm on Windows, I can check the size of the Linux build later. Windows
is still building. It's in "sd" already, so odds are high that there
aren't big problems (if any).

View raw message