incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: Who wants to build OpenOffice?
Date Wed, 31 Aug 2011 07:56:16 GMT
Hi Donald,

Am 31.08.2011 00:38, schrieb Donald Whytock:

> How much disk space are we talking for a build?
>
> Could a thumb-drive Linux install handle it?
>
> Don

I had the same problem: I don't have enough space on my hard disk to
create a Linux partition of the necessary size. Here's a simple approach
I have used to solve that problem:

I used wubi to install Ubuntu Natty on one of my Windows partitions
(it's on the Ubuntu installation CD). It will install Ubuntu into a
container and add an entry to the Windows boot menu that will allow you
to run Ubuntu Linux from there. I reserved approx. 20 GB for the Ubuntu
container and that seems to be enough, perhaps even 10 GB might be OK.
No need to create an own partition for the Linux system.

I booted Ubuntu, took an external hard disk, created a 200 GB ext-4
partition on it and use it for the OOo builds (that's more than you will
need, 70 GB or so should suffice). USB-3 or e-sata would be fine, but
even with USB-2 I got a decent build performance (not good, but good
enough for the time being).

Regards,
Mathias