incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@openoffice.org>
Subject Re: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Sun, 28 Aug 2011 13:34:36 GMT
On 23/08/2011 Andy Brown wrote:
> I say that we have to support our users, be it by ML, or forum. I prefer
> mailing list but also realize that others prefer forums. I do use both
> since I want to help users.

Right. I do the same, and established community channels should be
preserved, as well as differences among the various communities: for
example, the Italian community uses a users mailing list with more than
400 subscribers, a forum and a newsgroup (this one is outside the
OpenOffice.org infrastructure). While this solution is technically
redundant, it is the best when one takes into account the inclinations
of people who ask and people who answer.

By the way, we considered automated gateways but in the end it is more
complex than it seems, since the way you communicate depends on the
platform too (it would be odd to receive an e-mail having only a couple
emoticons as body, while this happens often in forums).

> This road is getting old. We have already discussed this, back in June.
> I saw the same old discussion on the LibO list last year.

I absolutely agree.

Regards,
   Andrea.