incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [www][wiki] Web, Wiki, and Participation (was RE: Making mailing lists useful ...)
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2011 21:58:42 GMT

On 08/25/2011 02:56 PM, Dave Fisher wrote:

> On Aug 25, 2011, at 2:31 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> Hi--
>>
>> I think I deleted  lot of conversations in this thread and that is it a bit old,
but see below...

>>> ++++1.
>>>
>>> On the wiki, a user may or may not have editing rights, but other
>>> than that the wiki is designed to allow change.
>>>
>>> The whole html vs mdtext question that Kay has been raising is all
>>> about how to work on the website in a most casual manner with the
>>> least amount of "ceremony". One of the key advantages of the Apache
>>> CMS is making it easy for Committers to modify content on the fly
>>> also makes contribution comparatively more difficult for
>>> non-committers. For non-commiters this means installing a whole
>>> document build system.
>>>
>>> One approach could be to modify the Apache CMS web-gui to allow
>>> non-committers to browse and make patches. I don't know how hard that
>>> would be to do.
>>>
>>> A search box on the main site can point to google and can search both
>>> the main site and the wiki.
>>>
>>> When we are ready to consider each OOo project site for conversion we
>>> should send an email to ooo-dev to determine which way that site
>>> should go - CMS or Wiki? We can label the thread with
>>> "[www][${project}]". We can also ask for someone to step up and lead
>>> the content conversion process for a project.
>>
>> hmmm...well generally I think this is a very good idea. Should we get together a
list of the project heads and start this process now?

>> I might also suggest that by some consensus we put together a lost of areas that
we absolutely, positively DON'T want on the wiki for control reasons. I will happily work
on a wiki page with these ideas.

> Will you be editing https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OOo-to-ASF-site-recommendation
, or starting a new page?

Well I had actually posted my OWN thoughts on this page (in the last
column)--
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/OpenOffice+Domains

However, I could, of course, take out that last column (on the domains
page) and recreate this whole table on the page you reference above and
that way we could document findings (based on project lead responses) on
the OOo-to-ASF-site-recommendation page.

Should I do that?