incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: User support - what do others do
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 21:09:31 GMT

On 08/24/2011 01:35 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton
> <dennis.hamilton@acm.org>  wrote:
>> Simon,
>>
>> There is no doubt violent agreement about forums.
>>
>> I still would prefer to have some list *also* (after all,
>> odf-user@a.i.o is apparently there already) but I can always
>> satisfy my personal workflow preferences and find lists to support
>> users on.  Maybe I can scratch my support and QA itch on
>> StackOverflow.  I would especially want a list for
>> ooo-accessibility@i.a.o once we recognize how that matters.
>>

> Maybe the solution is to have a user list, but not a user support
> list?  So a place for users to discuss things, in list-style
> threads, but if someone is clearly looking for support, we direct
> them to the support forums?

I *personally* find forums quite valuable. WHY? They show up in search
engines, and if you just have some one-time issue and want to
investigate a quick answer -- bingo. I hardly ever subscribe to user
problem lists because I just don't want to be overburdened with that
kind of traffic. This being said, I know there are some great user lists
out there and yes, you're likely to get a quicker response this way if
you're on a list that has very enthusiastic participants. Pros and cons
to each. Really, I have no direct knowledge of the current OO.o user
lists or forums though.

Just my .02.

>> - Dennis
>>
>> -----Original Message----- From: Simon Phipps
>> [mailto:simon@webmink.com] Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 12:27
>> To: ooo-dev@incubator.apache.org Subject: Re: User support - what
>> do others do
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 8:24 PM, drew<drew@baseanswers.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Ah nope, sorry. the forums are already on a staging server under
>>> the Apache infra. In fact it should be ready for some of us to
>>> start changing the theme pretty now.
>>>

>> Awesome, hadn't spotted that, thanks. So no problems and no need
>> for a discussion?
>>
>> S.

MzK

"Music expresses that which cannot be said and
  on which it is impossible to be silent."
                             -- Victor Hugo