incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Terry Ellison <Te...@ellisons.org.uk>
Subject Re: User support: beyond forums or lists
Date Wed, 24 Aug 2011 19:05:37 GMT
On 24/08/11 01:28, drew wrote:
> <snip<
>> So far the LibreOffice project has avoided creating support forums
>> that "compete" with the openoffice.org lists; would it be smart to
>> explore a way to have this broader, collaborative support in place?
>
> I would not characterize it quite that way - LibreOffice has taken the
> same path that OO.o took, which is to say they have eschewed web based
> support, and that TTBOMK had nothing to do with not wanting to compete
> with OO.o forums.

Drew we rarely disagree, but the reality is that LibO can afford to take
this view because the vast majority of the Lib user queries come to our
forums anyway.  Most LibO users are like me:  LibO was the OOo distro
that was bundled with my OS (Ubuntu).  At the moment there is so little
difference from a user-perspective that its not worth removing LibO and
downloading OOo.

Though this situation might regrettably diverge rather than converge.

Regards
Terry