incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Brown <a...@the-martin-byrd.net>
Subject Re: users@openoffice.org [Was: Re: [Discussion] dev@openoffice.org]
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 16:18:17 GMT
Rob Weir wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Marcus (OOo)<marcus.mail@wtnet.de>  wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> At the end it seems the best solution is still to go 2 ways: ML and forum.
>>

> Best in what way?  If half of us want pizza for dinner, and the other
> half want sushi, is the best solution to have sushi pizza?
>
> I think doing support via two venues is suboptimal, both for the user
> seeking support and for the person providing support.  Would we
> consider splitting ooo-dev into a list and a forum?  I don't think so.
>
> phpBB is open source, right?  I wonder if there is any way would could
> make it more mail-enabled?  Right now it allows users to subscribe to
> a forum or a thread and have new messages go to their email.  But it
> doesn't allow responding via email.  But I see things like M2F that
> claim to enable phpBB for mail in databases:
>
> http://mail2forum.com/
>
> In other words, we should be really clear whether we merely want
> *multiple interfaces* to support (ML, forum, nntp, etc) or whether we
> really want *multiple repositories* of support discussions.   The
> former is good to have.  The latter, however, if bad, IMHO.

I say that we have to support our users, be it by ML, or forum.  I
prefer mailing list but also realize that others prefer forums.  I do
use both since I want to help users.

This road is getting old.  We have already discussed this, back in June.
  I saw the same old discussion on the LibO list last year.

Lets see if any of the users on the mailing list have anything to say.
I have post a message in both the users@ and discuss@ list letting them
know about this discussion and since it is they that will be effected I
think they should have some input.

Andy