incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Mathias Bauer <Mathias_Ba...@gmx.net>
Subject Re: [What?] Why and How did this reach my inbox?
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2011 07:08:22 GMT
On 23.08.2011 05:44, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> Are you saying that the newsgroup, whatever it is, is designed to
> send everything posted on it to ooo-dev ?  And it subscribes to
> ooo-dev so it is like an aggregator?
>
> I guess if it aggregated and allowed posting, it would end up being a
> disconnected conversation if it didn't post here also.  But then
> there's the reply all problem because we are not really a newsgroup,
> it is a kind of mirror that is the newsgroup.  And it anonymizes
> stuff that it sends to us and breaks our threads.
>
> I find that weird.
>
> Why don't we just offer an nntp feed of ooo-dev so that all they have
> to do is subscribe to it in their news reader, whatever and wherever
> it is?

Why should *we* do that if Gmane already offers that service?
Or are you suggesting a closed news group that requires registration?

I don't see a problem with Gmane, many people used it for OOo mailing
lists since many years and some double posts aren't a problem. Probably
our discussion here created more traffic than double posts will do in
the next year. :-)

Regards,
Mathias